Saturday, July 26, 2008

punar janm :)

I could not handle it any longer, finally had to relent. After months of postponement I finally decided to take the plunge and sat down to format my laptop. It has been collecting all the garbage i threw at it since 3 years or so, with just one partition of 80 GB you can or may be you can't (depending on your technology exposure) imagine the amount of pressure my lappie had to handle for 3 gruelling years and it did not fail me once except for some murphy's moments which are in any way inevitable.

The journey started by collecting artillery for the kill, thus from Nehru Place I bought one 250 gigs external hard drive to collect the trash and sat down collating data which finally came down to 3 or 4 folders each summing total of 40 GB of data. Three years of my life were bundled in this neatly arranged stack of folders. The memories are not arranged in a hierarchical form like folders in windows or directories in Unix rather they are pretty much random mishmash of events. There are some pictures which will not leave your mind howsoever hard you try and some other faces would just not pop up in your head at times.

There is an option with Dell wherein by a particular key combination you can take your laptop back to the state in which it was bought. I used just that after proper backups and all, and witnessed the laptop take the first angdai of sorts with its first kilkari sound. I was just thinking if it was possible with human lives too, mark a restore point and in future if need be take your life back to this point. The whole life's learning will be washed away and you will be as brand new as it could be. I would want to take my life back to certain points in life just to regain the innocence and the blissful ignorance. Only if it was possible :), by the way my laptop is sparkling new and at least for a few more days I am not going to replace the data backup just to enjoy the ignorance or the absence of past burdens.

No comments: